“The Nicest Guy in Rock…”
by Jan Baxter
Well, here I am. (Note: give myself a mental shake, it might look odd if I really do pinch myself like they say.) Pinch me, I'm dreaming. That's what it feels like, I can't believe I'm here, I simply can't believe my luck….me, a nobody, a fledgling wannabe rock journalist on a small-name music magazine, waiting to interview one of the biggest stars in the rock guitar world. Lead guitarist with one of the world's biggest rock bands, a successful solo artist, a successful record producer, a brilliant songwriter, a truly talented musician…….and my own personal private ultimate pin-up fantasy figure. How can fate be so cruel and so kind at the same time? Giving me my big interview break with the man whose image has filled my dreams, waking and sleeping, for years. For the thousandth time I check my tape recorder, check my notebook, run through my list of questions and hope he hasn't been asked the same thing a hundred times already today. Is that one presumptuous? Will I get kicked out for asking about his feelings for his better-known and impossibly handsome lead singer and co-writer? What if…?
Too late. The door opens, his assistant beckons and I try to look cool and composed and not shake like a jellyfish as I enter the hotel suite. He stands up, extends a hand and we shake. (Note: firm dry clasp, brief but strong. He's very tall, more gorgeous in the flesh and he smells fantastic! Be still my beating heart!) His assistant must have briefed him just before I came in, he knows which magazine I'm from, he knows my name! (Note: Oh God, he knows my name!)
Stuttering slightly over my first question, his easy relaxed laugh makes me glance up and meet his eyes for the first time. (Note: he's not wearing shades for once, his eyes are warm and twinkly, full of life and laughter…) "Do Jon and I have a strong rivalry? No way, man! It's Jon's band, he's the front man, but it's my band too. It belongs to all of us, you know? We all have our own stuff but the band is something else. It's kinda like being married but without the sex…." Unable to stop myself, I giggle at this and he grins. Unexpectedly, he leans forward and pats my hand gently "That's better, you're looking a little less terrified, when you walked in, you looked like you were expecting to be a human sacrifice….I don't bite, you know." (Note: his smile is natural, warm and incredibly sexy.) I take a deep breath and run through my questions. He answers each one confidently, relaxed but becoming highly animated from time to time about his replies. "The songs are like a part of me, and a part of Jon too. When you write songs, there's a little piece of you in each one. Well, there is for me anyway. I write best with a guitar, a tape deck and a notebook and pen…."
It seems almost rude to stop his flow of talk to ask my last question but I can see his assistant looking at her watch. "Um….Richie…..one last thing. Will Ava be coming to the UK for the shows?" He smiles, shifts position on the sofa (Note: he's not as physically restless as Jon seems to be, more relaxed and at ease with himself.) "Maybe, sometimes I arrange for her to fly out." Hesitantly, I ask if she's well, and I watch his ever-expressive face light up. "Ava is just fine, thank you for asking. It's always hard being away from home, I mean….I love playing tours, playing live to a crowd is a huge buzz for me, but I also love being home with my daughter, just hanging out…." I venture an unplanned question "You said on the Big Breakfast show over here that Ava would be the prettiest nun in the convent. Given your own past experiences and exploits, would you be happy if she began dating a rock musician?" He throws his head back and laughs loudly. "I think she's kinda young to be dating just yet, don't you? I really don't know, but as you say, given my past…..um….exploits, I think I'd definitely have some reservations, you know what I'm saying? Musician or whatever, no one would be good enough for my little girl!"
Urged by the increasingly anxious movements of his assistant, I turn off my tape and close my notebook. He smiles again, and my heart flips over again. "Thank you, Richie. Thanks for giving me so much of your time, I know how busy you are and how tight your schedule is, so I really appreciate this chance…." Strangely, he doesn't seem in a hurry to end the interview. "Hey, no problem! I've enjoyed it, I like to give new people a chance if I can, and your stuff seems pretty cool, you have a way with words…." (Note: does this mean what I think?) I gulp "You mean you've read some of my pieces?" He grins again, almost wickedly "Sure I have. Stephanie here checks out most of the stuff about me that's semi-official, and she showed me one or two of your pieces for the magazine and that website you write for as well…" I stare open-mouthed. "You didn't see the last bit, did you? The one I wrote about doing this interview?" He exchanges glances and grins with his assistant and I blurt out "Oh my God, I'm sorry! You must think I'm so unprofessional and…I mean…I never dreamed you'd read it yourself!" My voice tails away and I'm ashamed to hear it wobble as if I'm about to cry.
When he reaches out again and pats both my hands, I almost do. "Don't sweat, it was well-written, and it is kinda flattering. And you didn't faint, puke or seduce me like you said you might…." I look up to meet a very twinkly and deliciously sexy wink.(Note: is he FLIRTING with me?) The unspoken words hang in the air as I absorb their meaning. Abruptly he stands up, the interview is at an end. (Note: He's even taller somehow.) "Thanks, and may I say I totally love your sweatshirt? Where did you get it?" I tug at the patchwork sweatshirt top in varying shades of purple. "Locally, in my favourite little shop, purple's my favourite colour." Richie smiles that killer smile at me "Mine too." I smile back, braver now. "I know." (Note: He's so gorgeous it's untrue!) He casts another glance at his assistant as I move away. She hands me a press pack containing CDs, promo items and photos. "I guess you can give these as prizes or something." I resist the temptation to peer too closely into the pack. "Thank you so much, I will, and we're going to auction some off for the local childrens' hospice."
Richie moves quickly. "You are? Okay, well, wait up…." Quickly he signs autographs on more items, CDs, photos, and promises " a couple of things I'll get all the guys to sign if I can."
I'm leaving, finally, leaving his presence and it's over. Heading towards the door, subtly ushered by his assistant. Then he hands me a final photo. "For you personally, since you said such nice things about my solo albums. Thanks, this has been great. Maybe next time we can take a little longer to talk, once you've done a review of the Wallflowers' album, and I'd like to hear about the BB King show you're going to see…" I stammer again (Note: Don't let yourself down now!) "Thanks, Richie, thanks for all this, and good luck with the tour!" He smiles back at me, friendly and warm. "We'll see if we can get you press access at one of the shows, you know? But you'd better give me a great review!" I swallow twice. (Note: Press access? Backstage passes? Oh My God, I've made it!) "Bye now!"
All the way home my heart sings, I spend a long time looking at the photo he signed for me before I settle to writing up my interview. I head my piece "Richie Sambora – the nicest guy in rock!" Then I wonder, is that too cutesy? Does it make him sound like a sissy or something? (Note: he's all man, anyone can see that!) I start again, stop, start. Scribble out. Start again. Cross out, return to the beginning. (Note: what the hell, he is the nicest man I ever met anywhere, never mind just in the rock world!) I start again.
"Richie Sambora – the nicest guy in rock." By JB.
Head down, I write as I listen to that distinctive drawling voice on my tape, (Note: no way am I ever going to erase THIS tape!) I hear the music and laughter in his voice, and dream for a moment of backstage passes and meeting him for another interview, of writing serious articles for the rock media, of getting yet another break due to Richie Sambora. I really am the luckiest girl in the world!
No comments:
Post a Comment