Thursday, 3 February 2011

One of my best friends at school was Mormon - I went to one of their services and found it interesting, if a bit embarrassing. (Couldn't get on with the standing up and shouting "Witnessing to the Lord" bit.) Another of my friends now is a "lapsed" Jehovah's Witness...I take great delight in telling them when they come to my door "Oh yes, I know all about you, your pastor persecuted my friend for daring to leave the church, you harassed her, abused her and eventually declared her a "marked Woman" at your church meeting....that's just what Jesus meant, isn't it? Oh and by the way, I'm a pagan." My late mother was a C of E believer, attended church on occasions, had a strong faith. My father (a scientist) thinks its all poppycock and rubbish. I was baptised and confirmed Church of England, sang in the choir, did readings, carried the cross for choir, played the Angel Gabriel and all the traditional expected things. When I was 14, my sister (19) joined a Born-Again Baptist Christian society at University and went bonkers with it. My Aunt became a Born-Again and took it to extremes, and I felt more and more uncomfortable with the excesses and over the top beliefs – and forcing of those beliefs on others. I left the church when the new vicar introduced modern prayers and songs, began the ritual of coming out from your seat and walking round hugging other parishioners and giving them “the Peace”. I didn’t want complete strangers intruding on my airspace, or strange overly religious men praying over me when I asked awkward questions. Something my mother said about my grandmother’s attitudes to belief, and my great-grandmother’s beliefs, suddenly struck a chord. I did some family investigating, and at the same time took up studying paganism, crystals, aromatherapy and the history of witchcraft. Like many teenagers I read books about wizards, witches, spirits and dragons avidly. The more I read, the more I felt drawn to paganism. I was still married in church, went at Christmas to carol services – drawn as much to the singing and language as anything else. I still do. My daughter was baptised Church of England. But now my beliefs are wide-ranging. I do believe in a “higher power” but I don’t believe in intolerance, bigotism, or thrusting your beliefs down someone else’s throat. My friends are from many religions and beliefs, or none. I don’t believe anyone has the right to tell others what or how to believe, or whether they should believe in anything. Each of us has to do what is right for us. Personally I find beauty and comfort in the passing of the Wheel of the Year as it turns, the seasons, the weather, nature and the planet we all share. I find my belief and faith in a wild bird’s flight, the full moon, the power of a thunderstorm. And when I say Blessed be, I mean it. Good night, thank you, and may your God go with you. (or not, as the case may be.)

No comments:

Post a Comment