Friday, 28 February 2014

Just don't talk to me about comics!

As an avid reader, I am always on the lookout for new good things to devour...sorry, I mean read. Anything from the old Chalet School books I loved as a child to my eternal favourite The Lord of the Rings. My particular areas of interest are historical fiction (The Wars of the Roses being a favourite era) and fantasy novels. I've read The Lord of the Ringd at least once a year since I was seventeen, and the Earthsea books likewise. So you might wonder vaguely why anything by the woman who wrote the book that the film with Johnny Depp is based on ( Chocolat) would attract my attention. Put simply, bloody good writing. Believable characters in situations that grip you and make you feel they might *just* happen any time soon. Of course the three Chocolat books (Chocolat, The Lollipop Shoes and Peaches for Monsier Le Cure) are brilliant, with that same flow of storytelling and the same believable characters entwined with the magic and myths of each particular tale. But I digress. Normally my reviews have been of record albums, songs, bands or gigs. I'm less used to reviewing books but frankly I need to get this out there. The Gospel of Loki is BRILLIANT! You could, of course, have read Runemarks and Runelight first, as I did, despite them being marketed as "books for young adults" (hey, I'm over 50, as Loki would say 'so shoot me'). But it isn't necessary to read them first, the Gospel of Loki stands on its own merit and the Humble Narrator grabs you even though sometimes he might not be a sympathetic character. The story tells of the downfall of Asgard, the behind-the-scenes truth (or something like it) about what really happened as Ragnarok approached. Every viewpoint gives a different story, don't be surprised that this one is Loki's storytelling. I'm not telling you any more, buy it, read it. Read it again. I have. Then buy and read Runemarks and Runelight and forget you might not be a 'young adult'. Sometimes looking at the world today in 2014, it wouldn't be a surprise if Ragnarok was hurtling towards us and Chaos creeping up everywhere we turn. The Gospel of Loki is a book that will help you understand, think and maybe escape. Possibly. And not a Hiddle in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment