Sunday, 14 July 2013
Feeling hot hot hot
Since I haven't blogged anything for almost a year, I guess now is as good a time as any to blog again.
In a minute I'll post another of my short stories, fanfics or whatever you like to call them. I haven't got the impetus to write much these days, maybe my imagination is different, maybe the current writing of a children's short story and the ever-continuing never-ending novel is taking over.
Time does change how you imagine things, how you picture yourself or your characters. Time changes your whole spirit and soul. Sometimes now I feel lonely, a thing I never thought I could be. The virtual world of facebook, twitter and chat programs doesn't compensate for real talking to real people. And having seen a couple of vlogs I know I couldn't go down that medium. Who would want the trite moans of a 52 year old on a hamster-wheel?
Anyway. from a time when my imagination was running wild and the words poured out once someone gave me a theme or song title to use...
SEA MIST – by Jan Baxter © 2005
Chapter ONE
The wind whips my hair about, stinging my eyes with salt spray and the gulls flock screaming around my head as I throw the last of the bread into the air. I shove one hand deep into my pocket and stand watching them wheel and soar in the leaden sky. Then I turn and walk back along the beach. Deep in thought, I flinch slightly as a man falls into step beside me. He’s tall, lean, yet strong in the body. I glance up at him but don’t stop walking. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you…” His voice is quiet yet penetrating, and when I glance up again he smiles. I smile back, unable to resist his eyes even if I wanted to.
“It’s all right, I was just miles away…” Somehow we’re walking in step now, although he must have to shorten his stride a lot to keep pace with me. “I just wanted to tell you that I’d taken some photos of you just now, with the birds….it was such a great image…but I’d normally ask before I took someone’s photo..” I slow down to a stop and he stops beside me. “You don’t mind, do you?” Inside my mind I’m surprised that he sounds so hesitant.
“No, I don’t mind. I’m not very photogenic though, so I hope you took more of the birds than of me….” I turn back to look at the gulls “And if you put it in one of your books, then make sure you credit me with being the inspiration…” He laughs, a real relaxed laugh. “I was about to say so you know who I am, but it sounds so conceited…” We begin to walk again, in step. “Yes, I know who you are, and no it’s not conceited. The whole town’s been full of rumours about you being here…and I saw you in the hotel bar but I wouldn’t intrude.” He stops again, and this time I stop to keep with him. “That makes a change, somehow everyone wants a part of me at the moment…” Without realising it, I lay my hand on his arm “I know, that’s why I didn’t. You should be left alone to enjoy your holiday with Henry.” His hand covers mine and when I look up, our eyes meet. “You know my son’s with me?” I feel myself blushing “Yes, and that’s another reason to leave you in peace..” His fingers squeeze mine “You’re very unusual…”
Pulling away, I begin to walk away. “Yes, well, I know from experience what unwanted attention can be like….you’d be better left in peace.” I glance up towards the grey cloud heading across in our direction. “And it’s going to throw it down in a few minutes…” He swears under his breath and puts his fingers to his mouth, a shrill whistle following. As his son heads towards us, I step into the loose sand of the dunes path. “You’d better be quick getting to your car, that squall’s a heavy one and it’ll be here in minutes….” His eyes follow my pointing finger to where the looming grey curtain beneath the clouds proves my point. “Damn! We walked along the beach, we didn’t drive.” He glances across at me as Henry stops beside him. “Well, either you take pity on us and direct us to some shelter, or we’re going to get very wet…” Henry laughs “You’re always getting us wet, Dad!” Trying to act nonchalant, I simply shrug my shoulders, “OK, pity is taken – follow me…”
I close the front door just as the first blast of rain hits the house, rattling the tiles with the gusty wind brought by the squall. “That sounds pretty mean..” Henry stands looking out of the window at the sheets of rain sweeping across the dunes. I head for the kitchen. “I’m making tea if you want some…or I’ve got camomile tea, peppermint tea or instant coffee.” I turn to repeat the question, and Viggo looks sheepish as my nose twitches at the cigarette smoke. “Sorry…I mean, I should have asked…do you mind?” I can’t help but return the smile he sends my way. “Yes, actually, I do…you can go outside again, or you can stick your head up the chimney, but not inside please.” Instantly he stubs the cigarette out and throws it into the fire. “Sorry again, but I’d rather not do either of those if you don’t mind…” Henry looks from his father to me and back again, and then we all burst out laughing. “Oh man! I want to see you with your head up a chimney!” Viggo pushes his son gently “If the lady is kind enough to let us get out of that rainstorm, I can be polite enough not to smoke if she doesn’t like it, ok?” I place a plate of flapjack and cookies on the low table. “I don’t like it much, but it’s not my rule, it’s the landlord’s…this is a no-smoking rental place and I don’t want to lose my deposit.” My heart flips for a moment as a strong hand covers mine again “It’s ok, I understand. It’s just one of my vices, I’m afraid..” Curling into my favourite chair, I shrug again and pick up my mug “We’ve all got those!” Viggo laughs “And according to that coffee mug, yours are coffee, sex and chocolate…” I feel myself blushing slightly but hang on to my control. “You didn’t say what you wanted….” When he replies softly “No, I didn’t, did I?” it’s not just my heart that responds….
The kiss he drops on my cheek as they leave after the rain passes over is unexpected, and unexpectedly arousing. “Thanks for the shelter, and the tea. You don’t mind about the photographs then?” I shrug yet again “Fifteen minutes of fame, I suppose.
No, I don’t mind. I hope you both enjoy your stay here.” Henry seems to nudge his father and Viggo hesitates “Would you join us for dinner at the hotel? I’d like you to be our guest.” Pressing my lips together doesn’t stop a giggle escaping me “Oh God, you can’t imagine what talk it’d make…the gossip if I was seen having dinner with a movie star!” His face is perfectly serious “Then don’t have dinner with a movie star, have dinner with two friends, ordinary human beings who like your company.” Henry urges me too “Come on, it’s really great talking with you, and you’re so funny!” There’s a small pause. “I don’t think he means funny as in the butt of a joke, more like funny as in witty and amusing company. Please?” Trying to make light of the moment isn’t easy “All right, but I haven’t got a thing to wear!” Viggo’s eyes rake me from head to foot and back again. “Then come as you are, you look fine to me….come in jeans, and barefoot.” Giggling again, I suddenly find myself giving him a shove as if he was one of my male cousins. “No way! I’ll find something half decent…and anyway, you’re barefoot too.” A wide grin lights his face up “Yeah, I know…and it’s the first thing I noticed about you….” Then his eyes slide down to my mouth…and my chest….then back again. “Well, almost…” Not shy now, I give him another shove, “Well, that gives me a clue about what not to wear, doesn’t it? Go on, push off, the pair of you! It’ll rain again in a while and I shan’t let you back in, you know!” They both turn to walk away “Eight for dinner then, we’ll be expecting you…” I shut the door and watch the two figures meander away across the dunes back to the beach and head back towards the town. Does he actually mean he likes me? I can’t believe it…. But my cheek still feels his kiss, and my hand still feels the warm strength of his hand touching me. What will this evening bring?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment